Monday, January 21, 2013

THRIFTED TREASURES

I finally got a new camera! Here are some of my finds from the past year...

 Vintage saucers  My sister is getting married this fall and for her bridal shower I want to do a Downton Abbey type theme so I've started collecting pretty teacups and saucers!

 Vintage Milkglass Cake Stand  I love pretty cake stands and had been on the hunt for this one for a while. Glad I didn't cave to buying it online and end up paying 4 or 5 times what I did! Sometimes it's hard to remember persistence and patience pay off...

 1970's Southwestern Carpet Purse  I had also been stalking purses like this on Etsy but couldn't bring myself to pay what sellers were asking when I had a feeling someday I might be able to find one in person. As my sister said, it takes a special person to love some thrifted things and that's kind of how I feel about this purse. I know some people probably find it a little bit ugly but to me it's gold.

 Vintage Wood Bird Hangings  I spotted these on a thrift trip this weekend but wasn't sure if I wanted to pay as much as they were marked ($2/ea). I admired how cute and Victorian they looked. And then I put them back. I came back to look at them again. And then I put them back. Today I could not stop thinking about them. So I rushed over and scooped them up as soon as I'd made up my mind, because you know, everyone thinks the same (probably tacky) little things are beautiful that I do and I'd regret it if I didn't go back for them right away. I first thought I'd paint the brown chipped wood black for a modern makeover but I'm digging them as is for now.

 1980's Secretary Dress  This was something that I had originally bought with thoughts of revamping. It sat untouched in my closet until last week when I started to pull things to get rid of and it almost didn't make the cut. However after trying it on again (and finding the perfect nude slip to go under it), I can definitely see wearing this to the office.

1960's Embroidered Wiggle Dress  I was a little bit in shock when I saw the price tag on this ($9) being it's a thrift store and this particular one never used to charge so much. Prices have certainly been on the rise in a couple of my favorite local stores but it's hard to complain when a) the money goes to charity, and b) that's still less than you'd pay in a retail store or on Etsy for second hand items. It's a little tight on me but it was so unlike anything I'd ever found before, and I still have those ideas of grandeur of getting my butt in shape, so I got it.

Looking back at these pictures, I wish I had taken them in the daylight to do better justice...maybe it's time to invest in some photo software. Happy thrifting all!

No comments:

Post a Comment