Friday, December 27, 2013

HELLO, WORLD!

I've been away so long! Honestly, I lost my camera battery charger...and was working on some artistic endevors. And let's just be real, sometimes life takes over and you forgot to take pictures of things and then put it off and then put it off some more. But I'm back with some new and some newer treasures! Lately I've really been working on editing at the store. Sometimes I get carried away at thrift stores. I think, oh, this is cheap and I kind of like it, maybe I'll find the right use for it. (Mostly I'm guilty of doing this with clothing that isn't exactly my size...call it a costume lovers weakness.) And sometimes I do. But what I really have been focusing on now is do I have to have it the minute I see it and then is it within the budget parameters. I want to get things that I think are beautiful and sometimes I can't always visualize right away how it will all come together. I also feel it's hard now with so many wonderful sites at the tips of our fingers and being able to peak into everyone's homes with a click of the mouse. I know I'm guilty on more than one occasion of home envy and thinking, how can I stylize my home a little more like that. Being inspired is great but I want to make sure I'm staying true to myself and not getting swept up in others visions or accumulating a bunch of half-hearted items. What I'm finding are those treasures that I instantly fall in love with even though I think they'll never work with all the other things in the house are the things that fit in best of all. Now that I've talked into a few different tangents, on to the pictures.


This isn't a thrifted item but I love it too much to leave it out of the post. My mother bought this light pink scale at an antique shop when I was little and after many years on their kitchen counter, it had been sitting in their basement for the past few years. I've been wanting a kitchen scale and had loved this one for as long as I can remember. (Side note - Please forgive my low light pictures. We live in an older apartment that has only a few ceiling lights. Also, I'm say now that all the items in this post are vintage, instead of prefacing it under each picture.)


Oil lamp  I wish this still had its little hurricane glass top (and almost even put it back because it didn't) but it's delightful all the same.



Solid wood chair  I spotted this chair 20 minutes before the store was closing and carried it around, vacillating whether or not to buy it since I wasn't sure where to put it or how comfortable it would be to sit in it for more than a few minutes. Luckily my sister was with me and pointed out that if I couldn't put the chair down, I should go with my gut and just get it. I even love the lumpy seat now that it's become my favorite reading chair. I have no idea how old this chair is but the wood intersections at the top look remind me of the Arts and Crafts homes I love so much. The below picture is how it looks with the lovely owl pillow I got on clearance at World Market.

 

Hammered watering can  This was also something I spotted and loved but wasn't sure how it would fit in with everything. I couldn't stop thinking about it and ended up going back for it a few hours later. I'm so glad I did! Once I got the price sticker off the bottom at home, I saw there is an engraved signature but it's hard for me to make out what it actually says. It reminds me of the Georgian Copper watering cans but the look is a little different than the other ones I've seen pictures of and it's gold.



Federal Glass Golden Glory (and one other pattern I haven't identified yet) assorted pieces  I have a real thing for milk glass and gold dishes. Now that I'm really seeing what a weakness I have for pretty dishware, I'm going to need to find a pretty way to display them without fearing my cats' curiosity. Also, the thrift store totally had these labeled as Fire King pieces.

Happy weekend and thrifting!

No comments:

Post a Comment