Saturday, December 28, 2013

DRESSER MAKEOVER

For a while, I had been on the look out for another dresser. I was wandering around one of my favorite thrift stores a few months back and came across an old waterfall dresser for only $15. These dressers were made cheaply back in the 20's - 40's but this one was still in pretty good shape. Unfortunately, someone had painted over its beautiful two toned wood color (that I discovered when stripping the paint off) and made it an ugly yellow color. I had never stripped furniture before so I was excited to get my hands dirty and make this dresser my own using some tutorials from Design Sponge and This Old House. Here's the before:


The handles are plastic but have a pretty shape though one is sadly missing. The paint on the frame was really stubborn to get off and took me a few applications of the Citristrip. Even then, there were some white putty patches under the yellow paint that would not come off. My original idea was to re-stain the frame and paint the drawers with some Montana Gold spray paint I had gotten a while back in the Pine color. When I couldn't get the giant white patches of putty off and seeing how easy all the paint came off the drawers, I changed my idea to then paint the frame and leave the drawers, maybe to refinish at a later point. I thought they looked kind of unique left raw.



The color of the paint is deeper than it appears in these pictures and I still need to do something about the missing handle. I don't get into that drawer too much so it's not that big of an issue at current. I had never done a project like this before but jumping in and seeing my finished dresser gives me confidence and excitement to do more things like this for our little place.

No comments:

Post a Comment